First Full Weekend

October 9, 2012

Our first full weekend of hunting (actually 3 days!) was a lot of fun. Spent 7+ hours a day in the ground blinds and tree stand. Neither of us walked a way with a kill, but had multiple close opportunities. We're finding out that the deer seem to be moving more in the evening. A lot more action and sightings. Oh, and to add we had our first cold snap. Mornings were in the low 40s with Monday morning at 35--the heat packs were of use in full force!

I had 2 close encounters; Sunday and Monday evening. Two does were traveling on the outer edge of the trace, and piqued their interest with a call. They began to travel towards my clearing but hung out on the right hand side of the shooting lane. Needless to say, my heart started to beat rapidly and excitement began to build along with nerves. I started to say to myself, "I just might have a shot!" Pulled back and ready, the deer were easily within my 25yd shooting circle but couldn't get a clear shot. Lots of small barreled trees with thin, wiry branches. The deer eventually became bored and traveled on.  Needless to say, those wiry branches were removed before leaving camp...and now there is zero excuse for not letting an arrow fly! Monday morning saw little activity but had 2 come within 35 yds that evening. I was sniffed and they split.

And that is another interesting tidbit--I have never heard a deer blow/snort nor watch her stomp her foot. It was so loud! Total first for me. Was quite surprised and baffled by it all.

Overall, it was a great weekend. We both now know the mixture of emotions that flood the body when a deer is in sight...and the intensity that builds when within shot. Too difficult to explain with not enough words to create that perfect mental picture for someone. Such a thrill!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment